The $250 Power Saving Bonus is a one-off payment to provide direct support to Victorian households experiencing energy bill stress due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Please note that every eligible household is guaranteed a $250 bonus, however, the bonus may only be accessed once per household.
The program is now open and is available until 31st January 2022. You will need to apply online by visiting www.compare.energy.vic.gov.au.
It only takes five minutes to apply and you will need an emailed copy of your bill from your provider (a photocopy or scan copy will not work).
If you do not have an emailed copy of your bill, you can use your National Metering Identifier (NMI) number that will be stated on a copy of your electricity bill. Your NMI is a 10 or 11 digit number, which can usually be found at the top of the second page of your electricity bill. If you cannot locate it, you will need to either contact your current retailer or distributor to find out this information.
Once you complete your application online you will receive a confirmation email immediately. When your application has been approved you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for your bank details. This is the official government email, do not give any bank details to any other emails or SMS.
Your payment will be paid via Electronic Funds Transfer into your designated bank account within 2-3 weeks of submission; there may be delays during high demand periods.
To be eligible to apply you must be able to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You must be a Victorian residential energy consumer (i.e. have a residential electricity account).
- You must receive one of the following concession benefits:
- Centrelink Pension Concession Card
- JobSeeker, Youth Allowance, Abstudy or Austudy
- Department of Veterans Affairs Pensioner Concession Card
- Department of Veterans Affairs Gold Card
- Friends and family members: If someone you know has a computer with the internet, ask if you can visit them and use it to access Victorian Energy Compare.
- Phone support: You can call 1800 000 832 to receive general support from the Energy Compare Hotline.
- Brotherhood of St Laurence: You can call their Energy Assistance Program on 1800 830 029.
Should you not have access to a computer or email, and the above options are not suitable for you, please contact my office to arrange alternative assistance.
As your State Member of Parliament, I want to inform as many people as possible who are eligible for this $250 Power Saving Bonus to help alleviate financial burden during these difficult times.
If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at my office in Sandringham on 9598 2688 or email my office at Brad.Rowswell@parliament.vic.gov.au.